It can be hard to relax when you feel worried. There are lots of different ways you can relax.
We have written and shared some guides for you to use.
Ways to relax
Some exercises can be relaxing.
Yoga is a calming exercise that gently stretches your body.
It also helps you to focus on your breathing.
Stop looking at screens
Try to do something that doesn’t need a screen. The light from TV, mobile and computer screens can stop our minds relaxing.
Think of an activity you will enjoy. Some people like to cook, do crafts, colour in, sing, dance or exercise.
There are lots of different things you can do to feel relaxed.
Mindfulness is a way to keep your thoughts calm.
You can do a mindfulness activity in a few minutes. Here’s how…
- Sit upright in a chair with your feet flat on the floor and your hands on your lap.
- Take a deep breath and close your eyes.
- Then take four deep breaths. Your breaths should be in through your nose and out through your mouth.
- Now you can start to breathe normally but try to not to breathe fast.
- Focus on any sounds around you and how your body feels on the chair.
- Then focus on each part of your body, one at a time for a couple of seconds.
- Start at the top and focus on your head then on each part of your face.
- Next, focus on your neck and shoulders and then on your torso.
- Next, focus on each arm, hand and finger. Focus on each leg, foot and toe.
- When you have done this breathe gently and count as you breathe.
- Any time your mind thinks about something else focus on your breath.
- When you feel relaxed, slowly open your eyes.
That is a simple mindfulness activity and it will get easier with practice.
Remember, you cannot do it wrong. The most important thing is you feel calm.
Click the buttons below to go to find out more about looking after your mental health
We hope our resources help you
Remember, it is important you talk to someone you trust if you start to feel unwell or unhappy. If you need to know more about Covid-19 (coronavirus) symptoms, please click here.