How to register to vote
Anyone who wants to vote must be registered. You can register to vote online or by post.
You can register to vote if you are:
- 18+ years old
- A British, Irish or Commonwealth citizen
- A resident of the UK
Before each election or referendum there is a deadline. You must be registered to vote before this deadline. It is usually around 2 weeks before the election takes place.
Registering to vote does not mean you can vote in every election, find out which elections you are eligible to vote in at gov.uk/elections-in-the-uk
Deadline for registering to vote in the 5 May 2022 elections
There are local elections on 5th May 2022. These are the deadlines to register to vote:
- Voting in person at a polling station
The deadline to register for this is 11:59pm on 14th April 2022.
- Voting by post or a proxy voting by post
The deadline to apply for this is 5pm on 19th April 2022.
- Proxy vote (not postal)
The deadline to apply for this is 5pm on 26th April 2022.
To register to vote you will need to know
- Which country you live in
- Your nationality
- Your full name and date of birth
- Your National Insurance Number
- Your address, and previous address if you have moved in the last 12 months.
You can register to vote by post by filling in a form and sending it to your local electoral office.
Download the registration form here.
You can register to vote online by following the instructions on the website.